Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

My 2004 mercedes E220cdi classic has 100,000 miles on the clock

My 2004 mercedes E220cdi classic has 100,000 miles on the clock but is absoloutley mint - I only bought it last week with full service history etc however after the first few miles into a journey the automatic box ceases to change down the gears, even if using the tiptronic change. It seems to be sticking in top gear meaning it will barely get up a hill and has no accelaration. The dealers mechanic tells me this maybe the air filter and is changing that but I would like an expert opinion as I am concerned it may be something more serious.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nigel and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you ..

You do have to be very careful with this... It could be a sensor issue yes - even a bad connection on the command system such as the range sensor and so on - but, the first thing with such symptoms is to see if when you have the fault, you have any fault light on or flashing at all. If you do - you know there will be fault codes logged in the TCM ( Transmission control computer ) and thats the next step then.

If not / no lights - then the next step is always to have the transmission fluid checked - and changed. But its condition should be always checked - if its a nice red ish colour and smells of "oil" - thats good. If its black and smells bad - burnt... thats a bad sign - a sign of internal damage in the transmission.

To of course the level should be checked - if its red in colour but just low, that would be enough to cause your issues - in which case a top up would do.

If its not that - then either way, the next step is a flush and change of fluid and filters - and then see how it is... that may be all it needs.

If not - if you still have problems then, then you have to have a proper diagnostic done on the system - via a plug on diagnostic machine. This will check for fault codes regardless of any lights and is also capable of a full diagnostic to test the whole system - that will find the fault usually then - but - if not - then its an internal fault that is best entrusted to an Auto Transmission specialist - as they have all the test equipment / toolery and knowledge - Most garages inc dealers will send such issues to such people for those very reasons - Repairs to autos are usually considerably cheaper that way - rather than replacements.

So thats the way to approach /work through this one now Nigel -

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.>>> ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Mike - much appreciared.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Nigel..

Thank you for your note.. Im very pleased to have helped you .. Anything else at all, you are most welcome to ask me -

... Per the way justanswer works Nigel, I do just need you to click on the "OK / Excellent" ratings please for me at this point as thats the way Im credited for helping you so if you can do that for me - Thank you kindly.

All the very best .. MIKE.