MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

The SBC warning light is on in my 2003 model WDB211 and Im

The SBC warning light is on in my 2003 model WDB211 and I'm told it needs fixing expensively. What should I do?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

MB Paul :

Hi, my name is Paul & I will try to assist you

MB Paul :

What you have been told is correct - the SBC hydraulic unit has a built in lifespan & eventually needs replacing. As the system is a complete "brake by wire" system (the pressure is controlled & generated by the SBC hydraulic control module) it monitors various braking operations over the life & will eventually put the SBC warning on which will store a code indicating the unit needs to be replaced.

MB Paul :

Repairs are indeed in excess of £1500 - the parts alone are over £1000 with a labour time of around 5 hours

MB Paul :

There is a cheaper alternative - click here for a company that can rebuild your unit: BBA Reman

MB Paul :

You will still need to pay for removal & installation and the unit will still need bleeding out using Mercedes STAR diagnostic tool and you obviously have the issue of getting your unit away to the company but it may save you a considerable amount of money over a new part!

MB Paul :

Apart from this option the only way to rectify your issue is with a new unit from Mercedes

MB Paul :

Let me know if you need anything else

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX helpful. Are there any safety implications of going for the cheaper option because I understand that SBC has now been discontinued?

MB Paul :

Hi, obviously it is very difficult to say what the implications may be for the repair as the company is not anything to do with Mercedes Benz who do the repairs, however I must say that I have used them before myself for various repairs for customers (although never personally had an SBC unit repaired) and have found them very professional & reliable. They also provide a warranty for their work & have worldwide offices so would not be too concerned.

MB Paul :

In most cases if there is a problem with the SBC system a warning would come on the dash to alert the driver to any issues it detects

Customer:

OK thanks

MB Paul :

No problem at all

MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician