Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

My 2004 slk 200 , tried to start the car after a 3 week break

Customer Question

My 2004 slk 200 , tried to start the car after a 3 week break , flat battery , took the battery out and recharged , alarm system won't reset , have changed the main car battery with a new battery , car starts then the alarm system kicks including the windscreen washer spraying over the windscreen. The key won't stop the engine , have resorted to stalling the car and disconnecting the battery.
Have tried to sync the key by turn to position 2 , removing the key holding down the lock and then pressing the open on the remote 5 times then releasing and pressing the boot lid twice - still the same problem , repeated with the spare key - still the same
Any suggestions ,
If the car needs to go to a garage is it drivable without causing any further damage
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, sorry for the wait. This is a very unusual problem that will require an electrical technician to diagnose. With so many unusual things occurring it sounds like water may have intruded into one of the modules in the car and is shorting out the electrical system. I would not recommend driving the car in this condition. It's probably best that you leave the battery disconnected and have the car towed to the Mercedes service center.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Marty