Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2004 E Class and in the last two days I have noticed

Customer Question

I have a 2004 E Class and in the last two days I have noticed that after I have been driving for around 10 minutes, when I stop and pull away again at junctions there is a loud squeaking noise that seems to be coming from the front of the car which stops once I reach about 25mph. This happens whether I am going straight or cornering. Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Asuming this noise doesnt occur whilst stationary and the engine running - the first port of call really if this seems to crop up only moving at that slow speed or taking off as such - would be to get the front and possibily the back brakes too checked - this is to ensure the calipers front/pads arent sticking or not fully retracting away from the disc and causing a partical braking effect and thus overheating as such and causing the noise you hear..so asa bove that would be next area to inspect if it hasnt been done so already upto this point..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this.

I am no expert! But that would seem to make some sense.

The noise does not appear when the car is first started and it only comes after 15 mins or so, so I imagine that is when the heat starts to occur and cause the noise?

What would cause the brake pads etc to do this all of a sudden? - could they have been moved by a large pothole or similar or does this indicate a more serious problem?

If it isnt the brakes, what would be the next things to check please?

Many thanks,

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Its i very possibe that whats amybe happening - if at anypoint you do brake within that 10-15mins or it could be the pads or caliper which ever side it is - is maybe holding on slightly and thus obviously as the cars moving this partial braking produces alot of heat - unless of course something has managed to get lodged between the friction surface fo the pads and the disc or there is alot of dust residue - one way to know your self would be to take the car on a short run and then just hoover your hands over each wheel and see if there is a substantial increase in heat being radiated off that wheel compared to the rest - if there is on one wheel then that the problem area..but again its certainly something to have checked anyway - the only other area as per low speed take off maybe transmission related..this is of course again if this noise doesnt seem to happen when the cars sitting stationary..I do hope this helps further

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We spoke last week about this on Friday. Sorry to contact you again. I was going to take my car to a garage to be looked at but the noise did not come again on Saturday, Sunday or Monday, but now we have reached Tuesday, it is back! Do you still think it could be the issue your described above with the brakes or something else if it is 'coming and going'? Many thanks.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

It maybe still worth getting it checked out.epsecially so if it more of motion/driving noise as oppossed to say it happening when the cars sitting stationary or at idle - if the noise isnt there when that happens but only on a short speed until you reach 25mph+ it still one area to maybe inspect id say..Its pretty hard to diagnose over the net which im sure you'll understand but per experiance id prob start there as suggested above and see if anything is spotted..I do hope this helps further