Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a red warning light on my dashboard which has the outline

I have a red warning light on my dashboard which has the outline of my car showing, what is this
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX you post your 17 digit chassis number for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WDB2037462E071329
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, there are a few different warnings that this message could imply. If the outline of the car has the bonnet or the trunk lid open it indicates that one or the other is open or there is a fault with the sensor for the bonnet or the trunk. If the outline has an arrow pointing upwards in the picture it indicates a fault with the air suspension. I've attached the messages below. Let me know if you have any questions.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no line to say the bonnet,doors or boot is open and no arrows in the picture, it is just the outline of the car at a sideways view all in red
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare, if there is no message in the display associated with the picture this would be an indication that the trunk or bonnet is open. Have you tried opening and closing them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have tried both, they are both ok
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
The sensor for the bonnet can come loose from under the latch and give a false signal. Are you able to check the mounting of the sensor yourself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know where to find the sensor!
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
You would have to open the bonnet and look down into each of the hood latches. There should be a silver lever of the micro switch at the bottom of one of the latches.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its pitch black outside!!!!!!!!!!!,,not sure I'm going to get the answer so I'm giving up
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
I understand. You can always reply back in the morning when you can check the sensor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hopefully mercedes will sort out this problem again as I have already been to them and they say everything is fine,would a faulty sensor cause this problem and should they replace the sensor?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
What usually happens is the sensor comes loose from the bottom of the latch and doesn't make contact when the bonnet is closed. If the sensor will not stay clipped to the latch they may need to replace it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would this type of sensor come loose after hitting a pothole?,as I hit a big pothole and that it when the message started to appear
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Yes it could happen. It often happens when the bonnet is slammed shut so a pothole could have the same effect.
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.