Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Hi I have a 57 plate sprinter on tick over it pumps out white

Customer Question

Hi I have a 57 plate sprinter on tick over it pumps out white smoke and also smells of diesel
but starts first time and drive spot do have any idea's please it would be a great help
Ade.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi ade.

White smoke is an indication of coolant/water burning in with the diesel
this is why you smell diesel.

What i suggest you do first is check the coolant level is is no down
or low .

Now if the coolant is good and not low then the white smoke is most likely bit more grayish than white if this is the case then this is a case of too much diesel getting to the cylinders and not burning off as should.
this will be due to the following possible cause .

Defective Fuel Pump
Aerated Fuel
Improper Valve Clearance, Worn or Damaged Camshaft Lobes and Rollers
Faulty Fuel Nozzle
Faulty PLD-MR Control Unit
Improper Grade of Fuel

Most common issue for white smoke on this engine is timing is out
of alignment .

As a general rule, the first cause of a diesel that’s blowing white smoke will be related to the injector pump timing. Diesels rely heavily on high compression and correct injector pump timing to fire the combustion cycle. Any reduction in the cylinder pressures or fuel delivery will result in an incomplete combustion process. That white smoke you see from the exhaust is raw or completely unburnt fuel.

Need further assistance then please get back to me.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will have this checked out and I'll back to you with the results

Ade.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ade .

Was the check engine light ON have you checked for malfunction codes .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've just bought the van a week ago and in the paper work theirs an invoice from this month from mercedes and it states that they took the van for a test run and not showing any smoke

and no faults on the computer too and no lights on the dash either !!!.

But someone mentioned about removing the DPF and having it mapped out so the ECU doesen't try to regenerate it ???.

it's all over my head this is !!!.

Ade.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ade .

This is also what i would suggest but do the test i daid above and make sure that you now don't have any codes as this has to be done when the ecm has no recorded codes .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If it is the injector pump timing ? How comes the van runs spot on ?

Ade.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ade .

It just has to be off a few degress to cause this , but as said a code check will confirm this .

Greg