Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a MB SL500 and recently I have had problems with the

Customer Question

I have a MB SL500 and recently I have had problems with the retractable top. I have stopped going to MB dealer for repairs because of the cost, etc., and I am using an independent now.
The new mechanic told me that the hydraulic fluid had 'leaked' out, but then he said that is impossible because it is an enclosed reservoir. He replaced the hydraulic fluid and the top worked well for 3 days. I left the car with him for about a week for diagnosis and he came up with nothing. Fluid replaced again and now the top is malfunctioning again.
There is a grinding noise when the top retracts and the fluid level has dissipated, so the problem appears to be mechanical rather than electrical.
Could you give me an idea of what might be the cause of this problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

Marty :

Hi, my name isXXXXX you able to chat?

Marty :

It looks like you are not online. I replied to you at 1:52 PM EST and it is now 2:45 PM EST. I'm going to have to step out for awhile. Just reply back when you are available and I will reply to you as soon as I see your message.

JACUSTOMER-nbt6em44- :

Hi Marty; just came back from leaving the car at the shop again for other repairs. the question about the hydraulic fluid is still confounding everyone.

JACUSTOMER-nbt6em44- :

Please hit me back when you are available.

Marty :

Hi, I'm online now if you are available. It's 3:39 EST.

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard, it looks like you were not able to view my replies in chat mode. I've switched the question to Q&A mode. Do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Marty, Today I was able to see the chat; I do need help with this problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Marty. You may not be receiving my chat responses?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Marty, I have not been able to access your answer

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard, I switched the question out of chat mode this morning.

Your roof uses hydraulic cylinders to open and close the roof. If the fluid keeps disappearing in the reservoir it is because one of the hydraulic cylinders or lines is leaking fluid. The mechanic needs to inspect each of the hydraulic cylinders and lines for leakage. Click here for a diagram showing the location of the cylinders.

Let me know if you need more help with this.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.