Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

We have a 2003 mercedes sl55 amg and just recently the nearside

We have a 2003 mercedes sl55 amg and just recently the nearside front window is not dropping when opening or lifting when closing and there seems to be a gap between the quarter light and the window as if to say the quarter light is not fully closing too. The drivers side works as it should and the quarter windows drop when you operate the roof. The electric window operates normally from both window switches. Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX sounds like the window has lost it's synchronization. To synchronize the window you need to turn the key on and close the doors. Press and hold the nearside window switch until the window is all the way down and continue holding the switch an additional 3 seconds then raise and hold the window switch until the window is all the way up and continue holding the switch an additional 3 seconds then check to see if the windows function properly.

Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Marty thanks for your swift response. I have tried what you have suggested but unfortunately I still have the same problem. I have recorded a short video. Pleas can you provide me with an email address so I can send it you.

Regards Kayne
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kayne, I am not allowed to post my private email. Can you post the video to YouTube?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Marty, here's the link http://youtu.be/zcjhY9kwPrU
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kayne, are you able to lift the window the last part of the way if you lift gently on the switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's the highest both the windows will go
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kayne, do you have the door panel and the trim around the door lock installed? If you don't have them installed the window will not complete it's cycle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Marty, that's exactly what the problem was. I had out the metal plate around the door catch so when I was closing the door it wasn't activating the catch hence was completing its cycle. Thanks a lot for your help but I have just one more question if you would be so kind to help. There is a smell of fuel from inside the cab. No fuel leaks underneath or under the bonnet. Has there been any recalls on these vehicles reference the sender unit seal?

Regards Kayne
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kayne, I'm glad you got it sorted out. There are no recalls on the fuel odor and to be honest I don't see too many complaints for odor on this model. I'd inspect the fuel cap seal and smoke test the evaporative system for leakage. If you have a small leak in the evaporative system it can give a fuel odor although you should also get a check engine light. If you also get a lot of odor in the trunk it's possible that there is leakage at the fuel tank. You would have to remove the paneling in the trunk to inspect the tank more closely. Let me know if you need anything else.

If you would please take a moment to rate my service on the window problem I would appreciate it.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Marty, I don't suppose you know the location of the brake light switch on a 2007 clk 200?
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kayne, the brake light switch is actually a brake pressure switch mounted in the brake master cylinder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Marty thanks for getting back to me. The brake lights on this vehicle are constantly on. Could this switch be the cause in your experience?
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kayne, can you post the vin number so I can look at the wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi marty, really appreciate all your help on these matters. The customer has asked us to investigate the fuel smell further and we suspect it may be coming from the fuel tank sender unit seal. Are you able to provide detailed instruction on how to access the top of the fuel tank. This is the same vehicle i had the window issue with (2003 mercedes sl55 amg). I would happily pay for this additional information.

Regards Kayne

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kayne, I've attached the workshop instructions below. Let me know if you need anything else. You will just need to rate my service again so I can receive credit for my help on this question.

Remove Fuel Tank Sending Unit
Position Trunk Lid To Assembly Position
Remove Retractable Trunk Partition
Remove Side Paneling In Trunk
Remove Center Rear Panel
Remove Front Panel In Trunk