MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Hi, Ive got an advisory on my recent MOT for my 03 CL55.

Customer Question

Hi, I've got an advisory on my recent MOT for my '03 CL55. The front shock absorber pivots have excessive play, would I have to buy the whole shock absorber, or can you just buy a new bush or something, or is it a ball joint?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MB Paul :

Hi, my name is Paul & I will try to assist you

MB Paul :

On the CL model the pivot joint is built into the front lower suspension joint

MB Paul :

see this picture - the joint is in the centre of the arm:

MB Paul :

Full Size Image

MB Paul :

From memory a new arm from mercedes is around £200 - £250

MB Paul :

The main problem with replacing these is that the screws that hold the front strut to the lower arm joint are very prone to corroding & seizing into the strut & can often be very difficult to remove & may even need drilling out which can result in damage to the strut, even when being very careful! This may lead to a replacement strut being required at over £1000 each.

MB Paul :

I would keep spraying the fixing screws with penetrating fluid for a few days before attempting to do this job as it may help free up the screws if seized. Always have the screws replaced when doing this job.

MB Paul :

Labour time to replace the arms (if all goes well) is around 2 hours plus a 4 wheel alignment check & adjust following the repair

MB Paul :

Let me know if you need anything else

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you mean the pin in the middle that connects the strut?

Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.
Hi - the pin in the middle of the arm is the joint that wears out & is the point that the strut connects to.

Regards, Paul