Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

vent pipe on passenger side leaking smoke then some clear liquid

Customer Question

vent pipe on passenger side leaking smoke then some clear liquid comes out what could this be and what is this vent
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if you're referring to the small rubber pipe thats under the car

then this is the AC condensation drain and getting water vapour and condensed water out of it is perfectly normal
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am talking about the my Mercedes sprinter not car can you still give me the informatioN

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did you get my message about the sprinter not the car its a aluminium box with a vent near the passenger wheel with a consatina pipe going into it smoke comes out followed by vapour

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

ok even is a van not a car and its fitted with AC then its will still have a drain pipe for the water vapour
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is a 2006 sprinter 311 cdi why does smoke come out first could this still be what you said is the smoke a problem what does ac stand for

Thankyou Graham

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Graham

AC = Air conditioning

as the water in the air is chilled and heated it tends to form condensation on the interior of the air ducts, a well designed AC system will have a place for the water collect where it drains out via the pipe

the smoke is 'steam'
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the advice matt I think it is all linked to a night heater which I didn't know about I thought it was smoke but obviously it is steam followed by vapour/condensate

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
glad to help