Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi, Ive had a poor first to second gear change in my 2008,

I've had a poor first to second gear change in my 2008, 109 Vito since i purchased AUG 2013. Under warranty I've had a new second gear & synchro, new gear stick and cables and finally merc recommended the 5th gear synchro.
Problem is it's still crunching from first to second, not every gear change and at various speeds. l also developed a judder from the clutch when cold last time I picked the van up from merc when they changed the 5th gear synchro. I have since had the clutch & flywheel replaced, this was ok for a couple of weeks and now the judder has come back.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

No I have not found an answer and would greatly appreciate a response from an expert.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im sorry to see you have had a wait..

Since the last occurrence - what has MB concluded?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

No worries on the wait. I'm offshore for a couple of weeks.

I've not been back in touch with them yet. Kinda at the end of my tether with them. Don't get me wrong they have been more than helpful in trying to resolve, I just can't believe the problems have returned. I had to specifically wait till the vehicle was cold and take it up for the manager to test drive last time as the service manager said there was nothing wrong with it, but the other manager agreed it had a nasty judder on take off (which wasn't there till they changed the 5th gear synchro) They claim to have replaced the clutch and flywheel, which was fine for a couple of hundred miles and now the judder has re appeared and the crunching going into second has also re appeared. As I said on this earlier this only happens randomly at various speeds.....slow take off....quick take off from roundabout.

Shame really as the van is a 1 owner with only 38,000 on it. This is probably my last throw of the dice with it and I'll probably look to trade it if I can't resolve.

Probably a hint of desperation creeping in, hence posting on here looking for some ammo before the last throw with MB

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Paul -

Thank you for your reply - and further info. And my sincere apologies for the delay in MY reply - I have had all manner of system issues this weekend -so Im sorry about that.

As regards XXXXX XXXXX with the MB van Paul - this has to be a transmission fault- by that I mean - internal.

I would think it will be found to be worn input shaft bearing - that will cause the issues you describe - even with new synchro rings installed - in fact, that can have damaged the clutch or the other way about - but it seems they haven't checked that !

Im afraid it will need stripping again though to even check that Paul - there should be some "warranty" on the work they have done - as you have paid out money and its still not fixed it - I would be asking them for some compo now - perhaps by way of free stripping / checking etc... because they have missed either that - as above...or some other mechanical issue internally... again.. work bearings - any o fthe bearings in the trans train will cause this - it HAS to be one or the other AS above now Paul.. the issue now is what to do / how much more to spend - as Im sorry but it will need to come apart again to progress / cure this ... again it HAS to be one or the other as above - its now a case of removing the trans to find which...

Im sorry its not exactly good news for you Paul - but that's the issue here now-

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Tech Expert