Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

car starting and running fine with fully charged battery but

Customer Question

car starting and running fine with fully charged battery but its not keeping a charge no lights coming on in car to indicate what the problem is could it be alternator the other thing is when I put the battery in I boobed and connected it the wrong way round there was a pop and a puff of smoke thinking I could have damaged the alternatior don
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Marty. If the battery is going flat while you are driving the car it would indicate that the alternator is not charging the battery or the battery is bad. You should have the battery load tested to see if it is good and if the battery checks good you will need to have the alternator tested to see if is putting out enough amperage.The alternator gets power from the prefuse located under the hood on the right side fender. If you reversed the cables you may have blown the fuse for the alternator.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please be sure to rate my service!