Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Noise in A class CDI 180 steering box (2006)

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

1st thing to try is draining off the power steering fluid and replace with fresh

and if this doesn't help and you still have a noise / groaning when turning the steering try a squirt of oil on the column universal joints as these can get sticky and transmit noise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Matt, what oil do you recommend?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Oliver

its a special oil

called 'multigrade oil' mercedes part number is XXXXX 989 24 03 10

its about £15 for a litre so not too bad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Matt, have you heard of an additive to

the oil, which is supposed to solve this problem?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Oliver

if its the lucas 'stop leak' additive I'd steer clear of it

most additives may buy a little time if the pump is badly worn but they shouldn't be thought of as a permenant fix to a worn pump
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think my pump is worn, or leaking, there is

only 57000 mls. on it, no it was not lucas 'stop leak',

but some other additive to stop groaning in the steering?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Oliver

usually groaning is caused by air in the system or a tight suspension joint or steering joint

try the fresh fluid 1st

then if that doesn't help I'd check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.
Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing