Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

Bought a Mercedes CLK 220 Avantgarde about three weeks ago.

Customer Question

Bought a Mercedes CLK 220 Avantgarde about three weeks ago. It keeps losing power. You can feel the power stutter before it arrives, it does this a couple of times and then it will fail. It did it the other day, I turned off the engine, turned it back on drove off straight away and the power was back. 2nd time it happened, the engine management light came on. XXXXX XXXXX (where I bought it it is still under warranty) took it to a MB garage, they cleared the code but could not find a fault, the MB garage said they checked the EGR and it was fine. Any thoughts?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 3 years ago.

Stan :

It would relly help to know what the fault codes were, which triggered the CEL. But from experience, the issue is often caused by failing mass airflow sensor.

Customer :

I don't know the fault codes and unfortunately the garage erased the codes when they checked the EGR. I have been told that it could be the turbo actuator?

Stan :

Your car might have a compressor, but not the turbo. Compressor engines have several flaps to control the airflow. They require cleaning and re-adaptation with the Star Diagnosis machine.