Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

Hi, I have a 13 plate c220 estate and have just had something

Hi, I have a 13 plate c220 estate and have just had something really weird happen. I had parked up with the stick in park and the foot brake on (as I was on a very slight incline) with the engine ticking over I popped the boot from inside and walked to the back of the car and sat down in boot when suddenly the car began to reverse gaining momentum the ratchet on the footbrake making a right racket and collided into another car. The driver of the car looked in and confirmed it was in park.

Any thoughts
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 3 years ago.

Stan :

This is very abnormal situation.
Parking lock alone, when lever is in P must hold the vehicle on a very high incline. The foot brake must hold the vehicle in place as well even with selector in R. There is a very serious electronic glitch or even mechanical damage in both foot brake and transmission. Since the vehicle is under warranty, please call Service 24H in UK to have a service team check the vehicle at the accident scene.

Stan :

regards,

Stan

Customer:

Hi Stan,

Customer:

I drove the car home with nofurther problem and contacted my dealer who has booked it in for an emergency inspection, thankfully the damage was very light.