Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

The hand break occasionally will not lift up and as a result

The hand break occasionally will not lift up and as a result cannot apply it.
It's happened 3 times on 3 consecutive days at the same point of my journey. On way home I have to queue down a hill to traffic light, the first time I apply the handbreak no problem, as I get nearer the lights and lower on hill I try to apply hand break it will not lift up more than a couple of cm, therefore the handbreak will not work. But works fine for the rest of journey. I am at a loss to why this happens
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

this sounds like one of the cables may be frayed and is so sticking inside its sheath or the 'Y -piece ' part where the cable splits in two may be damaged or badly corroded so the cables aren't being pulled evenly

I'd suggest taking a look under the car to inspect the cable runs and look for damage and be prepared to fit a new handbrake cable