MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Please help on information about where to find 2007 w211 e350

Please help on information about where to find 2007 w211 e350 4matic front shock absorbers in the uk (vin WDBUF87X97B154253). They seem to be different from the base model front shocks. The forks are much longer. Mine is the sports package. Code 952 I think. its a left hand drive (from America). the previous owner replaced the front shock a few months ago but they seem to have raised the ride height at the front. looks horrid. maybe not the right ones. looking to replace them with the correct fit which will lower the car down to normal. the UK doesn't usually sell 4matic models i'm told.
Anyway, please help to get the exact match for the car.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

It is correct that the UK did not take the 4matic model, however a dealer should still be able to order any parts required from the factory.

Before you do this however if it is just the ride height that is incorrect then it sounds like the shock has been assembled incorrectly.

The lower spring cup on the shock absorber is adjustable - there is a removable ring under the cup & the ride height is set by raising or lowering this clip so the cup sits at the correct level on the shock absorber. When you change the shock absorbers you are supposed to set the clip on the new shock at the same position as the old one when you swap the springs over.

It sounds like this was not carried out when the shock absorbers was replaced.

The springs will need to be removed using a suitable spring compressor & I am afraid it will be a little bit of trial & error trying to lower the spring cup to acheive the correct ride height if this is the case.

The other possibility is the springs are incorrect - this will also affect the ride height, however I suspect that the clip may have just been set incorrectly.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear XXXXX.

Thanks for a quick reply.

I do know about the clip on the shock , and I have had then checked. The clip has been set at the lowest point. There are about 8 grooves in the unit if I remember correctly.

Still want to try to get a new set though. Could you tell if this link on besttpartstore.co.uk is referring to the correct shock.

http://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/7080828

Or could you suggest a site that I could look at for the correct part.

Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

Working for Mercedes I have only got information on genuine parts. If you prefer aftermarket I would have to suggest contacting the company direct to confirm the parts are correct.

As said a dealer should still be able to order the correct parts for your VIN from the factory even though we never took the 4matic into the UK

Regards, Paul