Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I LEFT MY CAR OVER THE WINTER IN THE GARAGE UNFORTUNATELY WHEN

I LEFT MY CAR OVER THE WINTER IN THE GARAGE UNFORTUNATELY WHEN THE BATTERY WAS CHARGED MY KEY FOB NO LONGER WORKED . THE KEY OPENS THE DOORS AND BOOT BUT THIS VERY INCONVENIENT AS I NEED TO INSERT IT INTO THE FOB TO START THE CAR. CAN I FIX THIS?
LINDA
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Linda,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still need help with my question and will provide any information I can regarding the car. Please contact me as I have had no answer as yet. Email address [email protected].

Linda

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

you should be able to reset the key fob as follows:

To reset simply insert the key fob into the ignition. Turn ignition on but do not start the engine. Turn off ignition and remove the key

and that should be it

if that doesn't help then try replacing the battery in the key fob and try again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt

The car is driving OK but I cannot use the fob to open or close the car and the wing mirrors do not close in towards the car as before with the fob. I have new batteries put into the fob by a Mercedes showroom so I expect them to be working. Where am I going wrong.

Linda

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Linda

try the procedure above

so put keys into ignition
turn key to 1st position so dash lights up but do not turn key any more

remove key
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt

Have done what you asked but no joy

Linda

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Linda

OK sorry to say that the next step is to get the key fob re-coded to the car using dealer level equipment

there's no other DIY option
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years