Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Can I safely use castor oil - instead of synthetic oil - in

Can I safely use castor oil - instead of synthetic oil - in a 1994 Mercedes E220 estate car with a 4 cylinder W124 engine?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Marty :

Hi, my name isXXXXX you referring to actual castor oil (vegetable oil) or do you mean Castrol brand motor oil?

Marty :

If you are referring to castor oil I would not recommend using it. If you are referring to Castrol brand motor oil it is perfectly fine to switch to Castrol motor oil.

Marty :

It looks like you are not online at the moment. I am going to close the chat window now but you can still reply back to me in Q&A mode if you have any questions. Kindly rate my service when you are done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am referring to the natural Castor Oil which has very good high temperature properties, e.g. the higher the temperature the increased viscosity; although it can be unstable. Why do you not recommend castor oil (or a castor oil + synthetic oil mix) ?

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Barrie, castor oil has never caught on as a motor oil mainly because of it's tendency to break down over a short period of time. There have not been many studies done on the long term effectiveness of castor oil in an internal combustion engine. Far more research and development has gone into the petroleum based motor oil. If you wanted to get away from the synthetics I think you are better off using a good quality petroleum based motor oil.