Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

hi my daughter has got a smart car and when she presses the

Customer Question

hi my daughter has got a smart car and when she presses the accelerator nothing happens for 5 to 6 seconds then it starts reving. what do you think it is
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Id say that this could be a faulty pedal sensor or it could be a really bad air leak

I'd check for the latter 1st as they are a lot cheaper to fix than a new pedal sensor

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.