Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

i have a B class automatic diesel 2010. It has a full M.B.

Customer Question

I have a B class automatic diesel 2010. 36,600miles It has a full M.B. service history. There is a shudder as if the gear is not engaging at variable speeds and variable revs as if the transmission is having trouble. This is able to be felt on the floor by a passenger in the front. How do I proceed? My local dealer was informed of the problem 3 months ago and again this week. They do not seem to view the problem as serious but I am concerned since I plan to take the car abroad in the near future.

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Matt :

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...