Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have an 02 plate CLK230 Kompressor convertible. After some

I have an 02 plate CLK230 Kompressor convertible. After some hot weather the emission warning light came on. The fault was diagnosed as a problem with the first O2 sensor - shown as a stored fault. It was replaced and after driving a short distance the warning light came on again. I was advised that the problem would keep recurring as oil was entering the engine wiring harness at the camshaft and by capilary action would eventually reach the ECU. The solution was to replace the harness and add a kit that would prevent the oil entering the wiring in the first place and also I would probably have to replace the new O2 sensor as well as it would have become contaminated. The likely cost to replace the wiring and sensor was quoted at around £1800. Does this solution make sense and is it likely to cure the problem. Also would this be a DIY job or would I have to go to a service shop?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes the cam solenoid kit will repair the problem of oil leaking into the harness. You may not need to replace the entire harness however. The harness at the oxygen sensor can be opened so that oil can drain from the sensor before it enters the sensor and damages it. Rerouting the harness so that the low point is below the sensor will also help. The kit for the solenoid is easily installed. I've attached the service bulleting information below.

Technical Service Bulletin

Let me know if you have any questions. Kindly rate my service when you are done.

Marty
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Marty

Thank you for your response. It was most useful in understanding what I
will need to do to resolve the problem. I am now looking for the kit to
do the job, The local Mercedes agent seemed to be unaware of although the
garage I have previously used is fully conversant with it. Many thanks for
your help.

Peter XXXXXX

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
You're quite welcome Peter.

You just need to rate my service to finish.

Marty