mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

C220 02 reg diesel automatic,car started juddering in reverse

C220 02 reg diesel automatic,car started juddering in reverse about 1 month ago and also occasionally felt like it was missing slightly when in traffic queue or at low speed.When driven normally at say 20mph plus it was fine,.Advised by garage it was either torque converter or gearbox so paid for and had installed replacement gear box and torque converter.Still identical faults and am now advised it is probably electrical gremlin.I don't know what to do next and do not really want even more expenditure if the car is not likely to lety me down completely.Faults have remained relatively static to date and car can be driven almost normally although the juddering/missing can be a little irritating.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou in anticipation
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Are there any type of warning lights coming on?
Does the vehicle have to be at operating temperature for this to happen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike for coming back to me.By way of clarification:

1)There are no warning lights coming on

2)The juddering/shuddering is most prominent first thing in the morning i.e.today when reversed off my drive.Of course the engine is cold then and there may be some slight improvement when it warms up although it is difficult to say.It also sounds like it is "missing" when stationary in a traffic queue and moving the stick into neutral appeared to lessen this effect.In fairness to the new gearbox however I have not noticed this particular fault for a couple of days since the new gearbox was fitted.The juddering in reverse however remains prominent.

I realise that these faults may be extremely difficult to diagnose and can only ask you to give your best estimate .I am tempted to let sleeping dogs lie unless of course there is a possibility that the car may let me down completely when on a trip(we are hoping to take it to France in August).

Pl.let me know if you need me to clarify anything else.

World Cup prediction: England 0 Italy 0. Japan to reach quarter finals.

Up the Villa

Have a good weekend.

Mike number2

I am also a warranty inspector and this is a difficult issue, every time I have inspected this issue on these vehicle it has been the torque converter that has caused the problem as it is very common. Of course since they have replaced the converter that has eliminated this. The only other thing I can see is that the flywheel which the converter bolts to is causing the problem here. As far as the vehicle putting you down I don't believe that will happen in this case. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Mike,I will refer this back to my garage.Incidentally on sunday morning it was particularly bad and for the first time (again when engine had just started )the car shuddered very badly in reverse and then appeared not to shift itself out of first or second gear when pulling away from standing start.BUT when I switched off and tried it again (going forwards) about 10 minutes later it worked normally! Is this consistent with the possible flywheel situation ?By the way today(monday) it again shuddered badly in reverse but changed gear normally when in drive !

I have left excellent feedback for you.Any additional thoughts re the above would be very much appreciated.

P.S.Hope you did not follow my World Cup predictions.I don't seem to be getting too much right at the moment !

Hi again yes this still sounds like the flywheel is causing the issue. This would be the next step. As far as the World Cup I was thinking along the same lines as you. Thank you.