MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I have a 2010 mercedes ML 300 Blue efficiency and have troubles

I have a 2010 mercedes ML 300 Blue efficiency and have troubles trying to start it.
When I insert the key there is a delay in the ignition coming on and the car work crank to start, following a delay or retrying the ignition key the ignition switches on and the car starts normally. Ignition this was only a short delay however now the delay is now longer and I feel is about not start at all. It is as if the key is not being recognised, I have both keys and get the same problem
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

This is almost certainly a fault with the Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS) - we see problems like this often on the ML & is an internal solder joint on the circuit board that becomes loose and makes & breaks contact slowly getting worse until the point that it will not start at all.

This will need confirming on Mercedes STAR diagnostic tool - Mercedes will usually pay for some or all of the repairs for this fault under goodwill so is worth taking it to your dealer & asking them to try for goodwill if this is proved to be the fault. All goodwill claims are dealt with on a case by case basis so it is difficult to say for sure exactly how much contribution you may get.

Best regards, Paul