Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 1993 Mercedes 500 sl it starts perfectly but when

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Mercedes 500 sl it starts perfectly but when gets warm starts to misfire and gets worst as it gets hotter and then stops and wont start until cooled down. I took to main dealer and the did test and told me it was the air mas which was replaced. All was fine for a week and then started again they then replaced the throttle lower body and then a cpu switch again fine for a few weeks and then same problem again. they then replaced the distributor caps and all was ok for a few months and now it is starting again please can you advise what it could be
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is***** sounds like the classic distributor cap and rotor and ignition wire problem that these cars are known for. I'd have the shop reinspect the caps and rotors and wires and replace the rotors and wires if they haven't done so already. They also need to make sure that the caps are not damaged due to a bad rotor. Next I would suspect that one of the 2 ignition coils is failing when the car gets hot or the ignition control module is failing.

Let me know if you have any questions. Kindly rate my service when you are done.

Marty