mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Please I have 1999 mercedes sprinter 208D for some time now

Customer Question

Please I have 1999 mercedes sprinter 208D for some time now recently the engine started shaking the mechanic suggested is either injectors and pump so I got both changed. The van was started and the engine works smoothly for about an hour the it started shaking ;sort of vibrating again. Please is there anything you can suggest. Thank you. Emmanuel
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response

Has the compression ever been checked?
Has a cylinder leak down test ever been performed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes please BOth checks were down.
Does the engine shake at idle and while driving?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only at idle for instance waiting in traffic.. when you accelerate it stop shaking

Ok this is the intake manifold sucking on air, this is a common issue on these vehicles. The intake manifold gasket develops a leak over time which results in the symptoms that you are having. The next step needs to be to have the intake manifold gasket checked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please what is the intake manifold gasket...is this the head gasket?

No the intake sits on top of the engine above the head gasket, the intake gasket is at the top portion of the engine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thanks. will let them check that.

No problem, thank you and you can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive.