mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My 4 year old s class mercedes was recently serviced by an

My 4 year old s class mercedes was recently serviced by an independent mercedes garage. Since then, the Comand system does not work consistently. The radio cuts out, the satnav voice is silent, and the telephone does not work. Is this a coincidence or could the garage have done something to cause this. They say not, and have washed their hands of the problem saying they cannot help. Any advice on what to do would be welcome.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
What type of work was performed at the shop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just a routine 40000 mile service. After this the problem started, and I took it back. They then said that they had reset the electrics to the manufacturers default settings. This has made no difference. Just before starting the car the radio normally comes on, but then sometimes stops, but sometimes continues to play!
Ok the work performed would have no effect on the command system, I believe this is just a coincidence,i am also a warranty inspector and I have inspected the command units on these vehicles before. The issue is a internal failure to the memory board which requires replacement of the entire unit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any idea of what the cost should be? Should I go to a merc official garage or my independent garage?
Yes this will need to be done at the Mercedes dealer, the labor is about 1.5 hours I don't recall the price of the unit. Thank you.