Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

My E Class estate 1996 has a hydraulic fluid(?) leak near the

My E Class estate 1996 has a hydraulic fluid(?) leak near the passenger side front wheel......and fluid in the large reservoir has fallen to well below minimum. I thought that this was a brake leak.....but the smaller reservoir remains full.....and a local garage tells me it is a hydraulic suspension leak?
They furthermore say that this can only be fixed with specialist equipment at a Mercedes garage?
Many thanks....and which fluid do I need to top up the large reservoir temporarily,.....Tony stacey
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 3 years ago.

Stan :

Hello Tony,
The rear hydraulic suspension uses the same oil as the power steering. MB recommends to use oils from quality sheet 344.0

Stan :

MB 344.0 Zentralhydrauliköl A 001 989 20 03Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
Fuchs Titan ZH 5364 BFuchs Petrolub AG, Mannheim/Deutschland
Stan :

There are some tricks with filling the system. But i would suggest to find a independent Mercedes workshop. They will have the needed tools and workshop instructions to do the job properly.

Stan :

Once the leaking component is found, indie or any authorized dealer will be able to order the part for you. Indies might be willing to have the leaky pipe or the hose done at hydraulic shop.

Stan :

I am here to assist you more if need be

Customer:

Very many Thanks......my leak is at the front of the car.....and to be honest I didn't know I had hydraulic suspension. Is this front and rear? I am told that a pipe going the length of the car may need to be replaced?