MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

hi, i have a 2001 e220 cdi manual, 205000 on the clock. My

hi, i have a 2001 e220 cdi manual, 205000 on the clock. My question is the car starts up in the morning with no problems after about 10 mins it will cut out and wont start. It cranks but does no fire. I have had new fuel filter and bleed the air out new brake light switch still no luck. The AA came out and sprayed easy start, it fired for a few second and cut out. The AA says its the fuel pump in the front not the back because there is no fuse wiring for the rear pump. Any ideas im really stuck
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Could you let me know your VIN number so I can check some details please

Have you had any diagnostic checks carried out to see if any fault codes are being stored?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, vin is wdb2100062b457502

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have had diagnosis done but my mechanic has the new obd cables not the old round ports

Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

Ok - there are various possibilities for this problem but in most cases is down to low pressure in the fuel rail. This can be caused by various things.

I would recommend having a diagnostic check carried out with the correct tool first as this could save a lot of time & money in the long run. Also many tests will require diagnostic equipment. Just checking the fuel pressure requires access to a diagnostic tool to see what the rail pressure sensor is reading.

Also your car does not have an electric lift pump in the rear - if you look at the front of the engine you should see 2 fuel pumps, a smaller low pressure lift pump that draws the fuel up & the larger high pressure pump that feeds the fuel rail & injectors. Both of these are mechanically driven.

Starting from the top of common tests (based on having no diagnostic information):

The fuel filter is always a good first step - you said you have replaced it but ensure it is a genuine Mercedes filter - non genuine filters are prone to causing this problem.

Next check the low pressure lines between the filter, pumps & rail for signs of air bubbles - an occasional bubble is nothing to worry about but lots of air rushing through is a sure sign of a leak on one of the pipes - replace the O ring seals or pipes as required.

Another common problem is with the fuel injectors flowing too much fuel back down the return - this however needs testing with a diagnostic tool & special measuring tubes. Any injectors returning an excess amount of fuel will need to be replaced. This causes low pressure in the rail & the engine will cut & not start.

Rail issues or pump issues are also possible but less common.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to have access to the correct equipment for accurate diagnosis! Monitoring the rail pressure sensor & carrying out pressure tests is really a must for diagnosis without guessing for a fault like this.

Best regards, Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician