Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I just bought a mercedes 313 LWB on an 04 plate with average

Customer Question

I just bought a mercedes 313 LWB on an 04 plate with average mileage. The seller told me upfront that there was a judder when in the low revs which goes away just after the needle hits 2000rpm after which she sails away smoothly. He says he changed the flywheel and clutch of which he provided a receipt. One mechanic says some bearing, another says maybe it's the engine mountings another says props haft or propshaft bearing and I can't be bothered to eliminate all these diagnostics at once as this can be costly. Can anyone help please?

Kaycee
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you -

Quite right - it would be costly to replace everything as above in a bid to cure this - thats not really practical at all..

What you need to be doing - or have a garage doing, is to use a large heavy duty tyre lever / pry bar - inserted between the rubber bushings and metal work of the engine mounts - and the transmission mounts - and with a levering motion, one can tell if there is excessive movement - that while on the road, road stresses would cause what you describe.

The same can be done with the propshaft joints and mountings... Any and all of these can cause what you have - That as above is the best way to determine if there is a worn bush / mount etc ...or prop joint/s... There should not be any need whatsoever to just replace parts with fingers crossed.

If you don't find anything with the above - then move on to checking the suspension / steering joints etc -in exactly the same way..

One way or the other - if you have any wear / issues in any of the above, you will find it and can replace the worn part/ s..

IF its nothing to be found as above- then I would be suspecting a bearing inside the transmission.... This then is more involved and usually involves the removal / strip and inspection etc of the transmission and so on - so really, if it should come to that - I would suggest strongly to have it to a transmission specialist and have them check it as mush as poss externally - driving tests can often reveal such a fault - then you known which way you are headed -

Im sorry its just impossible for me to say it will be this / that - Im sure you can appreciate that -
One way or the other though. working / checking as above you will find and be able to cure this issue -

Im very pleased to have helped you - If there is anything else at all that you need- by all means get back to me - Im always happy to help more if needed...-

>>Meantime >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.