Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

the tailgate glass on my 2013 ml250 shattered

the tailgate glass on my 2013 ml250 shattered for no apparent reason when parked on my friends drive. I had taken luggage out the night before and there were no stone chippings or cracks. How has this occurred?

I had the car serviced 2 days before and nothing came up. Mercedes are ststing "external influence" but I am disputing this, as there was no chip or crack when I removed luggage out of the boot the evening before. The glass completely shattered and then bowed out and fell to the florr, starting from the sides

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome ..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you...

Im sorry to hear of your situation -

I have to say that on this issue, you may never really know what happened - not least because when the glass shatters on these cars, you just cannot see any mark where something may have hit it - whatever it may have been.

It can only take a very small "object" to hit the glass to shatter it - it can have been from a vehicle - s small stone shot out from a tyre ( as they do ) -and highly unfortunately, hit your screen / glass... and it will break it.

Too - if someone were to maliciously do it , they only have to know just where to hit it - and it will shatter.

I have actually taken the time to check MB TSB's etc for any known instances of this happening on their models for whatever reason - ie, vehicle caused - and there are just no records of any such happenings..

So while I cannot give you a definitive answer - ie -to say it will be this or that - I would have to say / and agree with your dealer - that this has to have been caused by some object , deliberate or no, hitting the glass Im afraid...

I feel for you - not nice at all espeically on that year of vehicle.. If it helps any, this should be covered on your insurance policy --

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

*** >> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Thank You - you are very welcome..

Im sorry I couldn't be more specifc..

You are welcome back anytime -

All the very best -- MIKE.