mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi - I am taking my Mercedes GL 2014 from the UK to Trinidad.

I understand the disel fuel in Trinidad is Euro IV standard.
Will the GL run OK on that fuel without any problems
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Yes your vehicle will operate as designed on the fuel in Trinidad and there will not be any issues with the vehicle, you will never know the difference.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike -
I have just been speaking to a resident in Trinidad with a 2014 BMW X5 diesel over there and he is having trouble with very rough running and "smoking" from the engine which he has been advised is caused by the BMW engine being geared for low emissions and that the fuel in Trinidad is not refined enough for the engine.
This is why I am asking the question. Does that mean the Mercedes BlueTech engine copes with the lower standard of fuel compared to the BMW? My friend was advised it could ruin the engine - hence my concern.
Your further input as to why the Mercedes is OK and the BMW isn't - would be much appreciated.
The BMW engine is designed completely different as far as the emissions system, and this is why your friend is having issues, he is going to need a fuel additive to go along with the diesel where as your vehicle will not. Thank you.