mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2003 Mercedes C220 CDI. It seems to be stuck in winter

I have a 2003 Mercedes C220 CDI. It seems to be stuck in winter driving mode. When I press the 'S' button for standard driving mode the display changes to 'S' but the gearbox remains in winter mode i.e. taking off in 2nd and it won't kick down. Any ideas what the problem might be?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
Has the gearbox ever been serviced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've only had the car for a few weeks. It was working normally until I was investigating what all the buttons were for. I pressed the 'W' button and drove the car. I immediately noticed the difference and realised the 'W' was for winter mode. However when I pressed the button again to move back to standard it didn't change back. I don't know if the gearbox has been serviced. Ther car has only done 80K miles.

Ok what this sounds like is the button itself is not working and is not activating the switch to the gearbox to switch it back. The first step I would suggest is to have the switch at the gear box and the button with a volt meter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was a decent guess but it didn't pan out. However I strongly object to receiving 22 emails over a few days demanding a rating. What you should realise is that some people have other commitments and cannot check these things out immediately.

I'm sorry about that, it was not me it was the automated system. Thank you.