MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I drive a Merc. 180C year 2002. I wish to electrically disable

I drive a Merc. 180C year 2002. I wish to electrically disable the steering wheel lock.
Reason:
The car is 12 years old, don't consider I need it and its one possible malfunction eliminated so car reliability is improved one less possible defect to be concerned about.
Have Mercedes issued an approved procedure to disable wheel lock ? Is a non approved but proven reliable procedure available if not issued by Mercedes ?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Shantal

I have received no response what so ever from your "Expert" to date.

I wish you to continue to try to answer my question.

I have not found an answer to date from any other source.

Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

Sorry if you have been waiting long for an answer but in this instance what you are trying to acheive is not possible.

This is due to the fact that the Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS) and the Electronic Steering Lock (ESL) both work together to form part of the immobilisor system.

When you insert the key into the EIS this then sends a coded data signal to the ESL - this then unlocks & sends a coded data signal back to the EIS to allow the key to turn & the car to start.

By removing the ESL the key will not turn. There is no way to bypass the ESL as the signal is a coded data signal & not just a 12v signal.

I hope this explains what you need to know.

Best regards, Paul

MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand it would need a revised schedule of the code to the ESL to allow by pass of the steering lock. Considering it can happen due to a defect in the key the steering will remain locked. There should be a procedure to by-pass the ESL In these circumstances, especially as an inadvertently dropped key on to a hard surface key can cause the problem. It would be well worth while to have a bypass facility. If you are in the middle of no where and you drop your key it can cause the key to malfunction, while still ok to start engine and lock doors.

I accept with thanks, ***** ***** that there is apparently no procedure available and it is useful knowing that. The cost of key replacement at 300 Euro also long time period to obtain replacement key is a nuisance.