Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Query re 2006 ML320cdi - some shuddering at speeds 30-50 mph

Query re 2006 ML320cdi - some shuddering at speeds 30-50 mph particularly on incline; otherwise drives beautifully even after 160k miles - please advise what to do - third attempt to get an answer.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you . Im sorry to see you have had trouble getting an answer....I really don't know anything about that though...

With regard to the issue you have - can you tell me... is the shuddering felt through the front of the car - through the steering wheel - and / or the brake pedal.. or is through the whole car.. ??

Has the car hot anything hard - such as speed bumps - kerbs etc?

What have you tried / had done of late?

Rgds, MIKE.......................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,
Shuddering felt through front of car - it lasts for short while and disappears when car accelerates.
The roads around here are full of speed bumps.
First query to MB service 12m ago reported nothing found - second query recently reported fault was noticed - thought transmission ok but maybe some wear in torque converter - also thought car would probably keep going and problem wouldn't get much worse.
I still worry that there's a big cost waiting to happen!
Regards,
Barry.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Barry -

Thank you for your reply and info..

In that case, the general things need checking over for sure... Just before we progress - do you get a shimmer / shake on the actual steering wheel at that speed ...that then goes away if you go faster - ?

Rgds, MIKE................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,
The shimmer seems to come from the front floor - not really from the steering, I think - but the car is perfect at higher speeds.
Regards,
Barry.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Barry -

In that case that rules a lot out and we have narrowed it all right down... I do feel it would be as well just to have the while front steering / suspension checked out - any loose / worn steering / suspension joints etc can cause such as you have and if thats all it is - one or the other, then the "fix" is relatively cheap...

If though all is pronounced as ok, then yes, the fault will undoubtedly be with the torque converter issue - this is not uncommon Im afraid - but - I would honestly suggest to have the front end checked out first... thats only a half hour if that ... and then go from there as you / they find.... You will know then which way you are headed with it...

Im very pleased to have helped you -Let me know if you need anything more-

** ** >>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me at this point -- - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.