MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I own a Mercedes W210 Eclass 220cdi 2002.I have fitted new

I own a Mercedes W210 Eclass 220cdi 2002.
I have fitted new rear spheres as I was told by a Mercedes dealer that all the suspension and exhaust was sound, but the spheres were worn, which produced a knocking sound over bumps. The car is fitted with "Adaptive Damping Suspension" which is linked to the steering reservoir, my question is that when I took the old ones from the car, quite a lot of hydraulic fluid drained out, so when I fitted the new ones, I expected the new ones to take up some fluid from the steering reservoir - this has not happened, and the level has not fallen at all. Having covered some 60 miles since I completed the job, the car seems to ride better, and the knocking noise has disappeared. I looked on the Mercedes receipt, and they describe the units as "Air Reservoirs" , so maybe they are not meant to fill up with fluid? Your advice would be appreciated.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for any delay you have had in getting a reply - the rear spheres are not filled with fluid but are pressurised with gas - although there is a small amount of fluid lost when you disconnect the line into the sphere it is actually just really what is lost by disconnecting the line.

The fluid just enters the sphere at the intake & it is the non compressible hydraulic fluid acting against the pressurised gas in the sphere that provides the damping action for the suspension.

If the fluid level is correct then I would not be concerned about the amount of fluid lost during the change.

Best regards, Paul

MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician