Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

mercedes c280 petrol manual saloon 1997 sudenly stops as if

mercedes c280 petrol manual saloon 1997 sudenly stops as if the ignition has been turned off . then wont start for 30 minutes . seems to be worse in very hot weather.garage could not fatham it but replaced engine management temp sensor but didnt help.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

Your symptoms certainly do fit a troublesome/ failing crank sensor - in fact - given that this is a known issue with these - really, that should have been done first... the temp sensor is not a problem on these management systems.

So certainly yes - you need to obtain from somewhere a crank sensor - if your local MB parts dept doesnt have one, the local motor factors can usually get them in - order in over night..

If not - then you can get them on the net usually....

If all else fails - ask the MB parts dept to do a VOR order to get you one asap ( thats Vehicle Off Road... ) where they usually can get them over night.

One way or the other though - thats what this needs...

Further you could do a diagnostic test - but crank sensors dont often show as faulty so can be misleading - but it is a known issue on this model for sure -

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think it could be the fuel pump or the altenater and why doesit pack up in the heat. Is it common in this model.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Robert-

Thank you for your reply - message ,

With what you have outlined Robert - no I dont think its anything to so with the alternator or fuel pump.... not with what you have described...

Further - yes- the crank sensor as I mentioned is a common fault on this model.... and so too - fits your fault description.. Too explain Robert - what happens is as they get warm / hot inside the sensor, the windings separate and so they lose their internal circuit -and you lose the "trigger" to the engine management system - for fuel supply and ignition - and hence, the engine will stop- When its cooled down, the windings contract, and work again - until they get hot again and the cycle repeats...., hence your fault.

Basics like the alternator / battery - fuel supply / pressure etc should all have been checked as "general checks" by now anyway too....

--- I hope that helps / clarifies for you ...

>> I do need you to please click on the "OK / Excellent ratings" for me now at this point... Thank you very much...

Kind Rgds Robert... MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well Mike,thanks for help we must keep our fingers crossed an original part has been ordered from mercs central depot and will be fitted Wednesday by a local garage. Part is £90 plus tax and labour. Thanks again, Robert.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Robert -

Sorry I missed you yesterday..

You are very welcome - all the very best..

....Im glad to have helped you - you are welcome back anytime.

- - - Per the way justanswer works Robert, I do just need you to click on the "OK ratings" for me now at this point - and I thank you for doing that ..

Best Rgds Robert - MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike, just wanted to let you know that the sensor was fitted yesterday.I completed the 115 mile journey home in blazing sun on fast motorways and everything worked well and I just wanted to thank you. Kind regards Robert.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome Robert -

Glad to have helped - you know where I am if there is ever anything else.

All the best - MIKE.