mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

i have a 2007 Mercedes E Class 220 CDi Estate which has done

Customer Question

i have a 2007 Mercedes E Class 220 CDi Estate which has done 64,000 miles and which during the last 2,000 miles has developed rear axle/transmission noise. The sound occurs when coasting and is clearly rotational in nature ie it speeds up at higher speed. The car performs as usual except maybe the rear end looks a little lower than normal and maybe fuel consumption is worse than usual. The local garage checked her over and replaced the brake discs which they said were rusted and were making a rubbing sounds however the problem has not gone away and I am concerned I will damage the car seriously if the issue is ignored.
Dan
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
Are there any warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no warning lights no. the sound is there whether the engine is under load or no and clearly audible when coasting in neutral so I guess it is not drive shaft related. also brakes were all checked. so guess another part of the running gear?

thanks

Dan

The way this noise happens and from what you are describing this issue is coming from the rear differential pinion bearing. I am also a warranty inspector and I have inspected this issue many times, the fix is to have the pinion bearing replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike I read elsewhere that diff pinion bearings don't make a noise when the car is coasting.

thanks

Dan