MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I have a low mileage 230 slk 1998 and when I attempt to put

Customer Question

I have a low mileage 230 slk 1998 and when I attempt to put the roof down I can hear the front releasing and can actually see the release bolts moving. The windows go down and the boot rises to accept the roof but the roof wont budge! Any ideas please.
Many thanks Clive
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clive,

This is quite a common fault with the SLK & is usually due to a limit switch fault - a diagnostic check with Mercedes STAR diagnostic tool is advisible in the first instance to help pinpoint the fault on your vehicle.

From what you have described & where the roof is stopping the opening process this is usually due to one of the front roof switches gone faulty or sticking - there are 2 in the roof panel itself on the front latches under the head lining (which come as one part joined together with a wiring harness) & another on the right catch that the roof locks into above the windscreen on the body.

These switches are a common failure on your model & we usually replace these at the same time if faulty as when one fails the other is usually not far behind!

Best regards, Paul