Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

1999 220 cdi Intermittant fault, car starts and runs perfectly,

Customer Question

1999 220 cdi Intermittant fault, car starts and runs perfectly, but on an odd occasion, starts and then stops after a few seconds then refuses to start again. fuel lines clear & new filter fitted. can only be restarted after a wait and then much cranking.regards John
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello John,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not solved the problem, please keep on trying. I would still like your opinion, do you require more info. JW

Hello John,

Thank you for getting back to me, no further information is required at the moment. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what other information, do you require.? regards john

Hello John,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Hello John,

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello John and Welcome..

My name is MIKE.. Im happy to help you... Im sorry to see you have had a wait... personally I have been off for a week but evidently no one else has picked you up...so I can only apologise..

With this situation John - I see you have done what you have with the fuel system -and thats all good... but by far, the usual fault given your symptoms on this model., is a faulty crank shaft sensor..

The wiring -and the connection to the crank sensor should be checked first before renewing the sensor - but if thats all ok - then the sensor is the usual culprit here. These sensors often dont give a fault light or fault code unless totally dead.. so that will be why if you don't have any fault lights / codes , thats the case.

So check or have the circuit checked as above - then replace the sensor if that is all ok...again - that is the common issue on these versions with that issue as you describe it.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.