MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

HI, I am thinking of buying a 1994 mercedes E220, how safe

HI, I am thinking of buying a 1994 mercedes E220, how safe it is compared to modern cars thank you
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

In all honesty & personally speaking I would say to avoid buying a W124 model Mercedes.

Although there are some models that have been well looked after these are usually very few & far between these days and costs to maintain these can quickly exceed the value of the car.

If you really do want to go ahead with buying one of these models then I would recommend a full inspection by someone that knows Mercedes prior to purchase so there are no nasty surprises.

Corrosion is a problem on many models both on the body and under the vehicle on the floor, chassis & suspension component.

The suspension is a weak point - check all springs, shocks, ball joints & bushes can all wear & fail.

Mechanically the engine is quite good if well maintained although the engine wiring harness is prone to deterioration needing replacement. Oil leaks can be a problem from the engine, transmission & rear axle.

Also transmission & axle failures can occur & are very costly.

There are lots of potential problems which is why a full inspection is essential before purchase!

Best regards, Paul