MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Ive seen this car: CLK430 ELEGANCE AUTO - 2001 - 4266 cc

I've seen this car:
CLK430 ELEGANCE AUTO - 2001 - 4266 cc - 5 SPEED AUTO PETROL - 2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE
Top Spec in Good Condition BUT... 125k miles!
The owner wants £2795 for it. Is it a good buy?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

The convertibles do hold their money a lot more than the coupes - price wise it is probably about right if the car really is immaculate with full service history & in generally good condition all round. I would probably be looking to make an offer closer to £2500 however if it was me!

If well maintained the mileage is not too much of an issue but there are many cars out there that have not been looked after so well on a car of this age which could have lots of costly repairs.

I would always recommend a full inspection by a garage that knows Mercedes prior to purchase to make sure there are no nasty surprises.

Ensure the service history is complete & up to date - a full service on one of these is not cheap - the spark plugs for example are very expensive on the V8 (twin spark so 16 spark plugs at nearly £10 each and a couple of hours or so to fit just for the plugs).

Make sure there is no corrosion around any of the wheel arches or boot lid.

The suspension is prone to wear - check all springs, shocks, ball joints & bushes for wear.

Check that there are no oil leaks from the engine, transmission or rear axle.

Check that the engine has good smooth power delivery - a bad MAF will cause holding back.

Check that the gearbox shifts smoothly through the gears with no signs of slip.

Check the roof works smoothly with no signs of leaks - generally the roof is pretty good but have seen leaks from pipes in the roof lining (make sure there is no staining on the headling indicating a leak) & the front catch failing. Pump failure is rarely a problem but costly if it does occur.

A full systems check with STAR diagnostic tool is very useful for picking up intermittent problems that may have stored fault codes but are not showing any faults on a short road test - another reason for a full check of the vehicle at a Mercedes dealer or specialist with this equipment.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Paul!

Sonia :)

Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sonia,

No problem at all.

Please remember to rate my answer positively if I have been helpful or let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards, Paul