mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I HAVE A MERC SPRINTER 313 CDI MWB Y REG 2001 AND HAVING REAL

I HAVE A MERC SPRINTER 313 CDI MWB Y REG 2001 AND HAVING REAL TROUBLE WITH THE TIPTRONIC GEAR BOX.BEEN TOLD BY MY GARAGE THAT I GET ALL REPAIRS SERVICING ETC THAT I NEED NEW GEAR BOX.PROBLEM STARTS AS SOON AS I START ENGINE UP IT WONT ENGAGE ANY GEAR SO LET ENGINE RUN FOR 5 TO 10 MINS SHIFT GEAR STICK TO AUTOMATIC THEN DRIVE AS SOON AS I STOP IE LIGHTS JUNCTION ETC THE GEARS CHANGE TO NEUTRAL THEN I HAVE TO START WAGGLING GEAR STICK RIGHT AND LEFT TO ENGAGE A GEAR SOMETIMES AUTOMATIC SOMETIMES 1ST.WHEN IT GOES INTO 1ST IT WILL ONLY LET ME SHIFT UP TO 3RD THEN I HAVE TO START WAGGLING GEAR STICK RIGHT AND LEFT TO GET IT UP THE GEARS.SOMEONE SAID IT COULD BE AN ELECTRONICS PROBLEM? THE GARAGE I MENTIONED IS NOT A MERC GARAGE NOR DO THEY DO AUTOMATIC GEAR BOXES PLEASE ADVISE THANKS . DAVID
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing the issue that you are having is a common one. The problem that you are having is consistent with the turbine speed sensor that is located inside of the gearbox behind the gear box, the valve body has to be removed to replace this. This is a common problem and results in your symptoms.