Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2009 A160 diesel with what appears to be a fault developing

Customer Question

I have a 2009 A160 diesel with what appears to be a fault developing on the steering. The following is intermittent, sometimes the fault is not apparent for several days then returns and it now happens more frequently.
When stopped at a road junction for example with the engine idling a noise occurs which causes slight vibration of the steering wheel. This can occur whether the steering is straight or slightly turned. Recently I have noticed that it is still there when turning from a standstill or at low speed. It may be present during driving normally but this model is not the quietest of motors and I have poor hearing. Steering seems normal, no drag or stiffness, no unusual tyre wear and an inspection under the car did not reveal any problems.
Have you any clues please.
Regards Mike
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise..

There can be several causes of what you describe - but a very common on this model you have is failure of / breaking up of, the main engine bottom belt / crankshaft pulley.

There are what's known as a vibration damper - they are made up of two basic steel round slabs of steel - cushioned in the middle with very hard rubber...Over time, that rubber starts to fail -and the pulley starts to vibrate etc - as you have described.

So I suspect given what you have outlined and knowing it is a common fault, that that is your issue here - Certainly thats what needs to be checked / sorted as found. Let me know how you go..

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.