MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I have an ML CDI 2009 registration - both key fobs are

I have an ML 420 CDI 2009 registration - both key fobs are not being recognised - I get the message "Key does not belong to vehicle" - after several attempts the car starts, but I dont think the steering lock is engaging either. Is it an EIS problem (hunting through internet) and where can I get repaired as I fear Mercedes dealership prices?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

It is very likely to be an EIS problem & it really is a dealer job as the new EIS requires coding on Mercedes STAR diagnostic tool.

It will need to be diagnosed correctly using STAR also.

The good news is that we often get good results from MB goodwill for EIS faults on this model so you may get a good contribution paid by taking it to a dealer.

All cases are dealt with on a case by case basis depending on age, mileage, length of ownership, service history etc so it is difficult to say for sure if you definately will get a contribution or how much it will be but would definately be worth asking your dealer to persue this for you if it is the EIS.

Best regards, Paul