MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Hi, the mechanic at my local dealer reckoned there had been

the mechanic at my local dealer reckoned there had been a problem with SL fuel tanks which was the subject of a recall. It sounds like something has come loose & is bobbling around inside the tank.
The service manager wants to charge me to investigate although the technician knew straight away just by driving it for 20yards & listening to it. He seemed sure Mercedes had identified a problem.
Any advice?
Jim
Hi Jim,

it sounds like a common problem with the R230 SL where the baffle plate in the tank comes detached & you get a knocking noise behind you as the fuel moves around in the tank.

If that is the case & the technician has identified it then it will require a new fuel tank which unfortunately is quite a large & expensive repair.

This was never a recall by Mercedes but many years ago they often contributed to repairs under goodwill. I would ask them to try for goodwill but on a 11 year old car in all honesty it is unlikely that you will get a contribution now.

Best regards, Paul