MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I drive a Mercedes cd 220 cdi sport edition. On start up it

I drive a Mercedes cd 220 cdi sport edition. On start up it blows the 20 amp fuse. This does not happen all the time. If I replace the fuse straight away(I carry spares)it blows straight away, if I leave it for 15-20 mins then replace the fuse it starts! Could it be the starter motor or the inhibitor switch on the gear stick?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

If the fuse for the starter motor is blowing then it is likely that the starter itself is the cause and drawing too much current which then blows the fuse. This is a common problem on this model & we often replace starter motors for this issue.

I would recommend checking the connectors to the starter first - I have seena few vehicles with bad connectors here causing the same issue but in the majority of cases it is the starter itself.

Best regards, Paul