Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a merc C240 sport. 1998 S reg - 150k on clock. It has

Customer Question

I have a merc C240 sport. 1998 S reg - 150k on clock. It has started to intermittently struggle to go through the auto gears. If I stop and switch off and back on again it clears but after sitting at a junction, when pulling away it struggles and only goes into 2nd gear and doesn't go up to the next gear? I've had very little other problems with the car and had it for 10 years!! Don't make a grown man cry!!! Thank joe.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Joe and Welcome..

Can I just ask first - do you get any fault warning lights on at all - or the range lights doing anything odd?

Has anything at all been checked at all - ?

Rgds, MIKE.........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Mike, my system is having trouble opening the links can you forward your links as docs or give the whole hyperlink address for me?

Joe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike, recently I had a calliper changed to the front off side wheel. A couple of days later the BAS/ ASR and the ABS lights came on. My brakes have a slight bounce on them and the garage had said I need to change the discs/ pads,!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi mike, can you confirm you have my reply?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Joe -

Yes I have your messages now -

My apologies - I have been off over the weekend - but there is some confusion here... I dont know what you are referring to when you ask refer to my sending you links etc - I haven't sent anything at all -not as yet anyway....

So can I just ask before we go further what that is / was all about - ?

- And too - re my earlier q - as to if you have had any transmission fault lights at all - ?

Rgds, MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, no transmission warnings just the 'BAS/ ASR and the ABS lights'...

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again -

Ok - the BAS/ Asr and Abs are all to do with the braking system -

When you say in your question - on pulling away "it struggles"... does it feel like the brakes are "on" to some extent... holding the car back.... or is it more like , the engine is driving the car ok, but the gear change is just slow to work/ operate -- ?

Rgds, MIKE.............................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its more like , the engine is driving the car ok, but the gear change is just slow to work/ operate!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, do you have any update for me? Thx, Joe.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike, can you update this call and let me know if I should expect any further comment?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Joe -

I do apologise - Im afraid I have had to be off for a while with illness so I couldn't get back to you at all - Im sorry about that Joe !

With regard to this - your last note to me was on the 16th - a couple of days ago.... I assume then nothing has been done since or have you had anything done / checked at all - ?
Please just let me know - bring me up to date there - then I can suggest the way forward from here... and once again, my apologies for the delay--

Kind Rgds, MIKE............................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you were unwell, I hope you feel better now...

Nothing has changed... I had the two front discs and pads replaced, however the bumping through the brake peddle is still there, however I don't want to continue to spend money on the peripherals if the engine/ gear box is about to go, if you know what I mean!!

So basically, it seams like when I stop at a junction and then try to pull away, there is resistance from the drive... I could have been driving for ages and stopped and started many times without any loss of power, then I get this problem. I don't know if it may be the engine going into limp mode, as when this occurs I normally pull over and switch off and on again and it clears again for a while!!! help!! Thanks Joe...