MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I have a 2005 CLK 320 cabriolet. A few days ago I went over

I have a 2005 CLK 320 cabriolet.
A few days ago I went over a rather sharp speed bump and the two rear headrests (which normally live in the "down" position) shot up and are now touching the roof lining, much higher than their normal "up" position. I believe this may be a "crash" safety deployment, a sort of roll bar. As a result I can't lower the hood.
I've seen an internet video where some guy pokes a bit of coathanger-type wire down the side of each headrest to reset them, but this looks a bit primitive and hit and miss. Surely there is a more straightforward way to reset the headrests?
Martyn
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Martyn,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.
Hi Martyn,

Sorry that you have waited so long for an answer - if I can still help I can tell you that you should have the reset tool for your headrests in the bookpack or tool kit. It is a long L shape tool that you insert down the side of the headrest to release the locking mechanism & the headrests can then be pushed back down into place.

It is a bit of a tricky procedure as the tool passes through an opening in the body - you need to look for some stitching arrows on the headrests - this is where you insert the tool.

It is easier with 2 people - one inside the car to insert the tool & another outside with the rear windows down to press the head rests down.

Here is more information from the owners manual describing the procedure.

Best regards, Paul

graphic
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician