MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

My Mercedes C180 is showing a malfunction-SRS and my mechanic

My Mercedes C180 is showing a malfunction-SRS and my mechanic cannot clear the fault from the screen neither does he know what is causing the malfunction to appear.
Please help! this problem has been on for over three years.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

There are many possibilities for the SRS light coming on & accurate diagnosis will need the car plugged into a diagnostic tool such as Mercedes STAR that can read the fault codes stored.

The most common problem we see is with the passenger seat sensor in the seat base but as there are so many other components could cause the SRS light to come on I would not carry out any repairs until it was diagnosed correctly.

Guessing what the fault is could end up far more costly than having it diagnosed properly!

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your answer to my question but am afraid the answer has not clearly answered my query/question.

You need to tell me examples of other components that could cause the SRS light to come on so that each can be investigated and thereby help me to diagnosed the fault quickly.

In the meantime, am not satisfied with your answer as it has not really answered my question.

Regards.

Esther.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.
Hi Esther,

I am sorry you feel that I have not answered your question but I am not sure you have fully understood my reply.

You have said above "You need to tell me examples of other components that could cause the SRS light to come on so that each can be investigated and thereby help me to diagnosed the fault quickly."

Any component in the SRS system could cause the light to come on - It would be very pointless to list every single component in the system just in case they may be at fault.

And the last part of your comment "thereby help me to diagnosed the fault quickly" - as I have already stated in my first answer simply by plugging in a suitable diagnostic tool (which is an essential tool in diagnosing modern cars) will indeed allow the fault to be diagnosed quickly.

You are more than welcome to have another opinion but I am not sure exactly what answer you are hoping for at this stage without the correct tools to proceed with diagnosis.

Best regards, Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician